Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Miss Veenker 2009

Well I'm off to Ohio tomorrow, but I wanted to post about "The Miss Veenker Pageant" we had this past weekend. I've always loved doing sleepovers for my nieces and nephews. (Sorry to the nephews, I've neglected you for the past few years, but getting that many boys in a small confined space is enough to kill anyone).
Anyway, last year I thought it would be fun to have a Miss Veenker pageant and a sleepover (inspired by the Miss Pleasant Grove Pageant we had attended a few weeks prior). The girls LOVED the Miss Veenker pageant, so of course they wanted to have another one before I leave.

Now this is not your ordinary"show" that the girls put on 5 minutes before the "performance" is to begin. It's a HUGE ordeal that requires weeks of planning. Not so much planning for me, although I still have lots to do, but the girls "stress" about what they're going to do for their talent, and what they think will win the judges heart with their evening gown, swimming suit, and pajamas wear. (It's really cute to witness).

Katie, (sister-in-law) said that her two girls were so nervous about it. They wanted to do really good on their talent and make sure their "walk" was the best. My niece Brooklynn even choreographed her and her sister's dance, which was REALLY good. McKinsey made these fabulous signs with each girl's picture on them and Libby, Brooklynn and Cricket made this huge Miss Veenker poster. Everything turned out so great this year!

Last year I had the pageant at my small little townhome, but this year I asked my mom if we could do it at her house in case we had someone who wanted to come look at the house. (But it was mostly because I wanted some place with more space). We started off the evening (well it was more like day, we had to start at 3:00 p.m. because the evening would be full of lots of things to do) with hair and make-up.

I was so lucky to have so much help this year. My sister-in-law Cricket and sister Wendy helped with the hair and make-up, which was a huge help. It was kind of funny, while we were doing the hair and make-up, my sister Lori (who was in Indiana last year so Lexi couldn't come) asked "what time does this whole thing start?" I just laughed at her and told her that it has started and that the hair and make-up was part of the fun.
After everyone was gorgeoused (one of my new words) up, we started the competition with pajama wear. The girls looked so cute and the 5 judges (me, my mom, Cricket, Wendy and KyLee) knew already that it was going to be a hard bunch of girls to judge. After PJ's we did the talent portion, then swimwear, and ended off with Evening wear. It was SO fun and worth every minute of stress and preparation.

Now we didn't actually "judge" the girls, instead we took each girl and came up with a word or phrase that went along well with them. After everyone got their crown, flowers and sash, we had dinner and then headed off to Lexi's dance recital. All the girls had fun watching her dance and I'd have to say, she was one of the best in her class.

We ended the night with treats and a movie on the Big Screen (well it was actually just a movie projected on the wall, but it might as well have been). We watched the newer Parent Trap movie and the girls LOVED it. Mya wasn't so sure about watching the movie, she wanted to watch Tinkerbell (she's very picky about her movies and they can't be scary) but after I MADE her watch Parent Trap, I'd probably be safe to say that it's her new favorite movie. We all slept in the basement and everyone did really well through the night.

The next morning we had breakfast casserole and cinnamon rolls and that was the end, although Lexi wanted more. While I was fixing breakfast Lexi asked me "So what fun are we going to have today?" I had to break her heart and tell her that the fun was over.
Next year they want to have the pageant at the Cabin and the year after that in Hawaii. I told them I'd be willing to fly home for the Hawaii trip :). Then again, it's the girls' request on Hawaii, so we know how that will go.

I just wanted to thank my mom, Wendy, Cricket and KyLee for all their help this year. I also wanted to thank the moms for putting up with the girls demands on what to wear and what talent they want to do and helping them get ready. It was so easy with all the help I got. Before we had the pageant my mom asked me if I really like doing this or if I feel like I have to do the pageant. I think she answered her own question when she saw how much the girls enjoyed it and how fun it is to see the girls perform. I have the BEST family!
The girls in their evening gowns.
Striking a pose. They are all really good at that. No drama queens in this bunch (hear the sarcasam?)
Miss Lexi - "Sweetest curves and wave"
Miss Mya - "Perfectly Poised"
Miss Lexi - "Fashionably Fancy"
Miss Afton - "Prettiest Poser"
Miss Brooklynn - "Shiningly Chic"
Miss McKinsey - "Sensationally Spunky"
Miss Hailey - "Best Shimmer and Shake"

The clan with their crowns, flowers and sashes, what a cute group.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

You are THE BEST AUNT EVER!!! Wow you are so creative! Way to go! I am very impressed, that is so cute and they will remember it forever!

McKinsey said...

Thanks again Jen we are going to miss you so much have tons of fun Thanks!

Marrott Family said...

We had our own neighborhood pageant growing up...but it was NOTHING like yours!! Your cute fam is going to miss their favorite aunt like crazy!!!

Michelle said...

You are such a cute aunt! What a fabulous idea! If our girl to boy ratio ever changes we might have to do that! (2:12):)Good luck with your new adventure!

Becky said...

What a great idea! I might have to steal it and try it with my family.You must be the Favorite Aunt.

rhodesfamily said...

Holy cow!!! That sounds like so much fun-what a great idea! I want an aunt like you, Jen! :) How long will you be gone?

Mindy Sue O'Bryant said...

That is so cute. You are such a fun aunt. I can't believe how many nieces you have, and how big they have gotten.

tjandash said...

You are the cutest!!!!

Katie Anderson said...

You are the best aunt ever! What a great idea!