Thursday, July 15, 2010

Elder Scott Veenker Comes Home From His Mission

On February 17, 2010 my brother Scott came home from his mission from Argentina. It's kind of weird to be writing about this because of my bad blogging habits it is now 6 months later and if feels like he was never gone. Anyway I was able to fly home to Utah so I could spend some time with him and it was great to see the family. Clint had school so he had to stay home so I got to fly by myself which wouldn't have been so bad except for the ordeal I had to go through.

So I was suppose to fly in on the 16th and then go up to the airport with the family, but again, life can't be planned so plans changed. I left Akron at 3:30pm, or at least I was suppose to.

That day we had a terrible winter storm, school was even canceled. So I got to the airport and they said that the plain was delayed. I started to freak out a little bit because my lay over in Detroit was only 50 minutes. But the people at the gate didn't think I would have a problem so 30 minutes after my flight was suppose to leave, we boarded the plane. I figured if I ran from one gate to the next I would be fine until, the plane stopped to be de-iced. Ok I would have to run real fast, but I might still be ok.

We were on our way until the plane stopped again because it was snowing SO much that they couldn't plow the runway fast enough for us to take off. So we had to wait 45 minutes until the snow let up. Needless to say by the time we took off my connection flight was boarding. I did NOT want to be stuck in Detroit all by myself so I was praying that there was going to be some other way to Utah that night because I did NOT want to miss being able to see Scott in the airport.

Once the plane landed I ran out of the plane only to find out that I had missed my flight by 5 minutes. ARG! So I went to the Delta help center to get a new ticket and they said that the next flight I could get would be the next day at 12:00pm and Scott was coming in at 11:30am. I was about to cry at this point, then I called customer service and this lady said that I would have to stay the night but there was a flight that left 6:30am and would get me to Utah by 9:00am.

I was so excited! Now I just had to figure out the hotel things. So I stood in this hotel comp line for about 1 hour not wanting to have to pay for a hotel because we aren't the richest people when we are both in school. When I get up there some of my prayers had been answered and my hotel was going to be paid for along with 2 meal tickets.

So I headed to the hotel and got there around 11:30pm. I needed to get up at 3:30am so that I would have time to get ready and make it to the airport an hour early. Well unfortunately I didn't sleep at all the entire night! I was so exhausted the whole rest of the day, but it was worth it.

Anyway the good thing about having to spend the night in Detroit was that I could stay in the airport and see Scott at the gate when he came in. So I was the first one to see him and I think that my mom and dad were really jealous. But I think I deserve it after what I went through. He was surprised to see me and it was so good to see him.

Here is his plane landing.

This isn't the best picture but he is the one walking under the door in the very back.

There he is with someone's head right in the way!

He was very nervous by this time, he was about to see his family.

This is what we saw when we got to baggage Claim. Bad picture but the entire area was FULL of people. There was like 12 missionaries coming home at the same time as him so there was a ton of families there.

The sign they made, my name even got on it!

This is what was in the front of the house when we got home. So GREAT!

This was pretty funny. Britt started crying when Scott was holding him so he tried to give him to his mom, but unfortunately he gave him to the wrong mom.

Just hanging out after we got back. Waiting to be released.

No comments: