Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Trip from Utah to Ohio

On the way back to Ohio we decided to take a different route than on the way out to Utah so that we could see a different part of the country, and so we could stop at some of the church history sites in Missouri. It took us a lot longer, but was worth it.

We left on May 24th and this is what the weather was like, pretty crappy. Thankfully, by the time we hit Price everything had cleared up, and we had blue skies most of the way back.

We couldn't have picked a better traveling buddy. He is SO good in the car. He just goes in the back and sometimes sleeps in his kennel and other times in his bed. He doesn't even whine to go potty. We needed more breaks than he did. Isn't he just the cutest!

After we left the pretty mountains of Utah and Colorado this is what we saw after Denver. It was nice and green but boy was it FLAT!

The first night we drove until we couldn't drive anymore, and ended up in a small town in Colorado called Statton. Not too exciting.

The next day we drove to Independence Missouri and got there around 5:00pm. We checked into our hotel and then decided we would head off to the LDS Visitor's Center in Independence.

Across the street is the Community of Christ Temple.

Here are a couple of pictures inside the LDS Visitor's Center.
We made it there before the busy season and pretty much had the place to ourselves. The parking lot was so dead we thought they might be closed, but they were happy to see us and share their testimonies with us.

The next day we headed off to Liberty Jail.

I can't even imagine what it must have been like to live in a tiny cellar for 5 months and not even be able to stand up straight.

I had been to Independence two other times, but Clint never had. He wanted to go through the Community of Christ Church the night before but they were closed. So after Liberty Jail I said that we really need to go back so you can see what it's like.
We had Jax with us so we couldn't leave him in the car on such a hot day, so Clint just toured the temple, and Jax and I walked around the block and took some pictures of the area.

Important intersection.

This is where our temple will be some day.

After Independence, we took the long drive north-east to Far West.

Jax liked it because he was able to run around the fenced-in area where the corner stones for the Temple are.

And our last stop was Adam-ondi-ahman. It's such a peaceful and pretty place.

By this time our day was almost up, I think it was about 3:00pm, so we knew we couldn't get too far, but that's ok because we weren't in any hurry to get home.

One thing about going east is that the gas got cheaper and cheaper. This is in a tiny town near Adam-ondi-Ahman. It was a good 80 cents cheaper than it was in Utah.

The first time that I went on a church history tour with my parents we went to Hannibal Missouri where Mark Twain grew up. Here is Clint in front of his house, and the white washed fence he convinced boys to paint.

Becky Thachter's place. We didn't get to go in because everything was closed by the time we got there.

Here is a view of the Mississippi River from Mark Twain's house.

Some pictures of us and the river:
That night we made it to Springfield, IL around 2:00am. We were SO tired!

The next day we made it home. We stopped for a bit in Indianapolis and took a picture of the house my sister moved away from a couple years ago. They were pretty excited when we texted them the picture of it.

Right before we reached Ohio we hit this massive rain storm! I was driving and was going about 10mph and could barely see in front of me. I just kept following the truck's lights in front of me and hoped we wouldn't crash.

We finally made it home to Akron around 9:00pm. It took us a day longer than planned, but we also go to see so much more! Thanks again to my family for putting up with us for two weeks!

No comments: